My idea appeals to families and individuals who live a hectic lifestyle and are trying to eat healthy, fresh food. There are some places who do have some of these aspects to their business, but it is hard to find one that is fast, fresh, and healthy. This opportunity was created because many families not only have both parents working in their household, but they also have many after-school activities which make it difficult to have a healthy and fast cooked meal at home. This opportunity was also presented through individuals who work full-time and try to stay fit. Geographically, I think my restaurant would really appeal to metropolitan areas where many families and individuals live who like high pace lifestyles. Currently customers might be trying their best to satisfy this need by meal prepping on Sundays for the week. I think customers are pretty loyal to what they use when it really satisfies their needs well. I think the opportunity is pretty big. A lot of people in the US are over weight and I think the window of opportunity will be open for a long time. People are trying to change their way of eating and having an overall healthier lifestyle but it is difficult because unfortunately life does get in the way.
My innovation is a restaurant that offers fresh, healthy and fast food to its customers. We will use local resources to create the food and make it in increments throughout the day to keep the food fresh. The food will be provided in an assembly lined fashion. Customer will tell the employee what type of protein they want and then veggies/grains, and so on. I would be selling plates of lunch/dinner food ranging from $5 - $15 and beverages ranging from $1-$4. Exact prices will depend on the time required to make the food and the amount of food provided per plate.
My innovation will address the problem in many ways. My customers will be provided will not only healthy food but it will guaranteed fresh and local and it will be available for them the second they walk into the restaurant. I do not think it will be hard for my customers to switch to eating my food because there isn't really anything available like my product. I think my biggest competitors who be places like Wholefoods that provide healthy fast options at their stores but you do not really know how fresh the food is. The food is also self served allowing the food to be exposed to many people. I think my packaging, price points, distribution, customer experience and business location plays a huge part in defining my business concept. I think my pricing would have to be in a good range where customers do not feel like they are over paying for their food but that they feel like it is a fair price for the quality of food being provided. Customer experience and location go hand - in - hand I believe. It will have to be in an easily accessible location and the decor inside will have to feel homey and encourage happiness and relaxation. I think my restaurant would need about 7-8 employees. One manager, one main chef, two student chefs, two servers, and one bus boy. 25% of my employees will be hired from local schools who are interested in the culinary arts.
My most important resource will definitely be the local vendors who will be providing the food and those students who are passionate about food. I think it would be hard for my competitors to copy these two things because it is not easy to find local vendors who will be able to provide all the food used. I also do not think many restaurants implement a learning program. Customers will be contributing to the community and at the same time eating delicious food.
The next thing for my venture would definitely be creating a delivery app where customers will be able to choose what food they want and it would be delivered to their doorstep/place of work etc.
For me, I would want to have multiple locations after five years of opening my venture. In the next decade I would like to own other businesses and I think this first venture will help understand what it takes to run a business.
Ashley, it has been cool to watch you develop your concept for Homestyle into a full blown business idea. When you think about it, it seems that most of the quick eating options are things like McDonalds that are unhealthy. Even though things like Chick Fil A and Subway are better, they typically are still not 'healthy'. I think it's awesome that you came up with an idea that incorporates all three things: fast, fresh and healthy. The best part is that you are able to ask cheap to reasonable prices, when most healthy options are boosted in price. I agree that I think in today's society, many people are trying to eat better and stay in better shape, but our hectic schedules and other things get in the way. Overall, I think you have a fantastic idea going here, and you can tell that you've worked really hard to make Homestyle be as beneficial and practical for consumers as possible.
ReplyDeleteAshley, I think this is an awesome business venture that I would defiantly use I kow for me I eat out more then I cook at home due to me traveling or not having time to go to the store and prep my food and cook it I just simply don't have time sometimes to cook and eat out instead. If there were some type of fast food that was healthy and fresh that I would have the choice to go to i would go there in a heart beat instead of some of the other fast food chooses out there. A healthy and fresh fast food place i think would be a huge hit i know for me it would be.
ReplyDelete