- Organizational Skills
- I have always been a very organized person. I think this is very valuable when owning and running a business. Without organizational skills a company can easily fall apart. Having this skill can help you prioritize what is important and I believe it makes me a naturally good scheduler. It is not something easily copied by others. Many people have to work to have organizational skills which might not come easy to them. There is probably other resources that can provide the same benefits like other people or software, but I believe having this skill as an owner is very beneficial to the business and does not cost me money.
- Natural Leader
- I am a take charge person when it comes to getting stuff done. I believe that this is also a very valuable skill to have when it comes to having a business. Not everyone has a leader personality and it is not easy to copy. Like having organizational skills, it is probably easy to find other resources like hiring people who obtain these skills but that would cost more money.
- Know what it takes to run a company
- I have been running a company for about 5 years now. It isn't my company but i have helped the owner grow it to what it has become today. I help manage 11 employees and about 85 clients. I am in charge of scheduling, payroll, invoicing, and everything in between. I think this is something that is very valuable and rare. It takes time to learn how to do the things I do. My job can not be easily be copied by others. There are other resources that can supply these skills but again, they cost money because they have the knowledge that many people do not not have.
- Communication Skills
- Like having organizational skills and being a natural leader, I believe having communication skills is valuable, rare, and inimitable. Other people can provide these skills, but again will cost more money.
- My Education
- I think my education adds a lot of value. I am a construction management major. Even though it has nothing to do with food, it has everything to do with learning how to manage other people. I also believe that finishing your college education really proves to you how much dedication you have. It is definitely rare, inimitable, and non-substitutable.
- My parents
- My parents are my biggest supporters. They encourage me and help me in every way that they can. It is very important to have people who support and encourage your ideas. They help you believe in yourself and remind you to keep going. That is something very valuable, rare, inimitable, and non-substitutable to have.
- My boyfriend
- My boyfriend owns his own company. He knows what it takes to get a company up and running and the hard ships involved. He is also a very big supporter of my dreams. I think it is very important not only to have support, but know someone who you can go to when it comes to dealing with vendors and how to approach a business plan. He is someone who is also rare, inimitable, and non-substitutable to have.
- My friend Jessica
- My friend Jessica is a health nut. She loves all things local and fresh. She is also an amazing cook. She can easily open the refrigerator and create an amazing meal with anything there is inside. Every time I try something she makes it blows my mind on how nonchalantly she creates these tasty meals. I think she is very valuable to my team. She can help me create meals that no one would think of. She is definitely someone who is also rare and inimitable to have. Other cooks can provide the same resources as she can but I feel like we would work better together because we consider each other like family.
- High School Students
- In my business plan I said I would want to hire 25% of my workers from high school. These students would be interested in or have culinary skills. I think this is a very valuable aspect to my business because not only would they bring a younger crowd into the restaurant, it will also make people feel that they are contributing to their community and these students education. Having these students involved is definitely rare, inimitable and non-subsitutable.
- Local Vendors
- Local vendors are a huge aspect to my business. They will be providing 100% of the food for my business. Having hard working, reliable vendors will add a lot of value. I do feel like they are rare to find and are inimitable. However there are other local vendors who can provide the same benefits and resources.
Most important resource:
I think I have more than one important resource, but I truly believe my education and my parents are the most important. No one can ever take away your education and my parents will always be there to encourage, believe, and love me unconditionally.
Excellent post, it appears you have some great resources which play a huge role in a successful open. Typically in the food business the hardest point to arrive to is the Break-Even point, this is difficult to reach simply because it costs so much to even actually open the restaurant. I think though, with your education, determination, and support blanket. This is a very plausible concept and could be very successful. Great work I look forward to seeing this in the full developed fashion.
ReplyDeleteHey Ashley, I think you did a great job on this post. I said this on another post but I'm so happy you used person resources rather than just resources directly related to your product. For example, your boyfriend doesn't directly correlate to your product but through explanation we now know it will work. I love that you put education as your most important resource. Your post is the first one I've read that said that. I think an education is so important no matter what field your in, but especially when it comes to running your own business. Great job!
ReplyDelete