Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
by Carol Dweck
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
Carol Dweck believes that your mindset is a huge determinate of how one succeeds in life. Throughout the book she discusses the difference between having a fixed mindset versus a growth mindset. She believes having a growth mindset is what will help a person learn, grow, and succeed in life. It will help one accept failure and continue trying to work hard too accomplish his or her goals. According to the author, a fixed mindset will just hinder the person and won't allow him or her to fully become who they are suppose to be.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
I think the book helped enhance what I am learning in the class because it helps me understand that taking this class is one step closer to one of my goals in life. No matter how much I do not feel like doing some of the assignments I know I will learn from each and everyone of them and that will help me grow as a person.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
My exercise based on this book would be to use the questions the author provided in order to figure out what type of mindset you have. Once you figure out if you have a fixed or growth mindset then you move on to how to change your fixed mindset to a growth mindset or how to continue using your growth mindset and apply it to everyday life.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
Honestly, this whole book surprised me. I did not know I would enjoy reading it so much. I did however have a defining moment. When I read through Chapter 5: "Business: Mindset and Leadership", I realized how important it is to have a growth mindset when it comes to leadership. I hope to have a leadership position when I get into my work field so I found this chapter very helpful. The author mentioned how important it is to ask questions and accept answers from your employees no matter how negative they are. This will help you understand your employees to a greater extent and help them feel appreciated and instrumental in the work place. According to Dweck, a leader should have 3 important aspects. They should be able to listen, develop employee talents, and give credit to where it is due. Those 3 things are very instrumental to make your employees succeed at work.
No comments:
Post a Comment