1) You.
This is going to be my last year at UF. I am a construction management major and I am fascinated by how buildings are constructed and the management process. I am a good leader and I thrive on trying to solve problems. I aspirer to own my own businesses. I think I would really very good at owning my own restaurant and developing it into something my community could actually enjoy. I think it would play a huge role in my life as I really enjoy healthy food and the environment.
2) What are you offering to customers?
My restaurant, Homestyle, would cater to families and individuals who like to eat healthy but are on a tight schedule and/or budget. It will offer fresh, fast, healthy food that is a cost-effective way to eat-out without hurting their bodies. The food will be catered to meet their nutritional needs like those who are gluten-free, dairy-free, vegans, or those who are just trying to live an overall healthy lifestyle.
3) Who are you offering it to?
As I said before I think my business would appeal to a mass population, but I do think it would definitely benefit families and individuals that live a very hectic lifestyle and feel like they do not have enough time to cook the type of meals that want to feed their families or themselves.
4) Why do they care?
I believe customers would come to my restaurant and buy the products I offer. Like I mentioned in my first napkin idea, in today's world many people live hectic lifestyles. Many families have both parents working full-time jobs and it is hard to find the time to make a healthy, satisfying meal. Individuals who work full-time jobs also find it difficult to find good healthy food options especially when they want to stay in shape.
5) What are your core competencies?
As I said before, I think how I approach my business concept would set me apart. I will still develop contracts with only local farmers and use produce that are only in season. This in-turn will boost the local economy and reduce delivery costs as well as environmental impact associated with delivering and growing produce not from local farmers. The food will also be free of GMOs and preservatives. A huge issue with fresh, local food being used in restaurants is the cost associated with it. The cost is then passed to the customers. Like I previously stated, I would keep costs low by hiring 25% of employees from local high-schools who are aspiring to go to culinary school and become chefs. I would work with local schools to implement a teaching program. I think this will really help set me apart from other restaurants and put the focus on the local community
I think these elements of my business concept fit really well together. I am trying to develop a feeling of community by providing the best food for the customers. I did not get much feedback besides that they really enjoyed my idea. I did not really know what I could improve on. I was not really challenged on any part of the business idea. I was however able to re-think my idea in depth. This exercise made me ask my self how I can develop my idea further. I think by adding more environmental friendly aspects to my restaurant will help boost my idea and take it to another level.
I would be the ideal customer for this juggling a full time job the gym and being a full time student. I would visit a place like this probably 3 times a week, and its unfortunate that it doesn't exist already. Excellent post, its exciting to be your last year I imagine, and maybe you can put your construction management skills to work while building your first restuarant I look forward to seeing this idea fully developed.
ReplyDeleteYou have an interesting topic. I am curious if you would be able to pull off the healthy, fast food restaurant. I think it would be interesting to see if hiring younger people would actually reduce your costs enough to compete with say a $2 triple cheeseburger from McDonald's. I think in a place like Gainesville, this restaurant would be a place people, especially students, would go to. Again, however, it may be difficult to penetrate a market so dominated by a few major fast food restaurants.
ReplyDeleteHealthy living and trendy foods have dominated our generation and society in the last five years or so. I think that this idea has the potential to succeed, but I am concerned that the market is already saturated with this type of concept. Being as specific as you mentioned poses a risk of catering to a small niche in the market. Although, I really do appreciate the idea of hiring high school students who are interested in pursuing culinary careers.
ReplyDelete