Sunday, June 12, 2016

Need Awareness & Information Search


  1. The segment I picked for my Homestyle Restaurant is families, college students, and individuals who are on a budget and want healthy, fresh options that are affordable and appeal to their nutritional needs. 
  2. Need Awareness & Information Search Interviews:
    • Interview 1: https://soundcloud.com/user-497376341/brandon-1/s-hvgqs
    • Interview 2: https://soundcloud.com/user-497376341/david-1/s-rY3Gs
    • Interview 3: https://soundcloud.com/user-497376341/naty-1/s-pmJlD 
  3. After conducting these interviews I noticed that each person had a place that they usually go to that they feel has a fresh, healthy option that won't break the bank. However, they weren't always satisfied or feel like there were many options. They also noticed that when they did pick the healthy option it was always more expensive. For example, one of the people I interviewed said he would go to Subway because it was easy and had salad options available. He told me that he would spend around $8 for his salad and he did not think that was too much. However, I mentioned that he could get a foot-long sub of the day for $5. This is my problem with these types of restaurants. Yes, they have a healthier option available but it is more expensive and at the end of the day it is not at all fresh as they advertise ( and their slogan is "Stay Fresh".....). 
  4. I feel like the people I interviewed were aware of when they needed a fast, fresh, healthy, affordable place to eat. They each had about one or two solutions (places) that somewhat satisfied their nutritional needs but they were not completely happy. They found that searching online helped narrow down their options, but again not many options were available. 

6 comments:

  1. Ashley, I can certainly further the affirmations of your interviewees in admitting that once I find an affordable fresh food restaurant, I stick to it and praise Jesus for having found it. Unfortunately the menu for these spots does tend to be limiting and as a result I only eat there every so often. So, as you can imagine, I rarely eat out. I am always on the go and this fast paced lifestyle makes it extremely hard to arrange times to cook my meals as I become hungry, and I have resorted to meal prepping, but sometimes not even this is a viable option given my schedule. I do believe there is a great opportunity to expand affordable fresh food options overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I found myself commenting on your idea again because I'm genuinely interested in the idea! I completely agree with what you found in your interviews, that there might be a go-to quick, healthy option for people, but most places have a "healthier" option for a more expensive amount. Being a college student, I'm bad about choosing the cheaper thing at a place that's decently healthy over the much healthier item for more money. I feel like a lot of other college students on a budget are this way too. I think you're idea simply to expand people's options for a quick, healthy and affordable meal option is an idea that so many people would jump onto if given the option. Your interviews did a great job in helping you to better pinpoint people's exact needs and helping you shape your business strategy a little more from what it was originally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a common problem in the United States. People who want to eat healthy out at a restaurant are often limited in where they can go or by the menus at these restaurants. For the most part if I want to eat healthy I have to cook for myself because I do not trust most food establishments to do a viable job. It also costs more for healthy food as you pointed out. I think a fast, healthy restaurant could be a huge plus in Gainesville, especially with UF at the heart of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley. I think your affordable, healthy, and fresh food restaurant is a wonderful idea and one that virtually everyone would want to see because as you say there are currently so few choices. I get pretty frustrated when it costs me twice as much to eat something healthy and it is presented right next to that delicious not so healthy item. Most of the time, I'm going for delicious and cheap. This is a common nutrition problem for the poor as well. Good luck moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley,

    Your concept will fill a lot of niches really needed for food choices in one place. It can take a lot of time and even cost more money than eating out to peruse all the health food stores and markets to cook meals at home. I am certain you will have success on opening day and develop a fast and excited following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ashley, I really liked this post! I think that a healthy and affordable fast food restaurant will be such a great idea. It is a big problem when people want o be health in the U.S. and still go out to eat but they can't find a healthy restaurant. I really liked your interviews and how you talk about how expensive it can be to eat health. I do not want to pay 2x as much at a restaurant just so I can eat healthier food.

    ReplyDelete