Thursday, June 9, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 1

Homestyle Fast Food Restaurant

1. My name is Ashley Chavez. I will be finally graduating May 2017! I like a lot of things but I especially love to cook, watch HGTV, hang out with my family and friends, and relax on the couch to binge watch my favorite netflix shows (when I have the time). I am a construction management major. I love to eat fresh foods when possible. I don't like restaurants that serve foods with preservatives and that are not humanely raised. Even though I want to be in the building business when I finish school, I do see myself opening this business if the opportunity arises. It would play a huge role in my life because I definitely want my children to be raised to eat fresh, healthy foods that are beneficial to their body and do little harm. I want that for my own body as well but I feel like if I was able to start my business it would not only benefit the consumers but my family as well.
2. My concept offers fresh, fast, healthy foods to customers. It will provide them an easy, cost-effective way to eat out without putting a strain on their body and budget. They will be able to customize their food to meet their nutritional needs (i.e. gluten-free/dairy-free customers, vegans, those trying to lose weight/stay fit) all without breaking the bank.
3. I think my business would appeal to everyone, but especially customers who do not have a lot to spend on eating out but have a hectic lifestyle. They want to eat the way they do at home but just don't have the time. I also think they would love to eat local fresh foods but might not know where to purchase it or might not be informed about what is in their food but know they want the healthier, freshest option.
4.  I think customers would pay for the products I offer because people have crazy lifestyles, food allergies, or needs they want from the food they put in their body and might not be able to provide it for themselves or how to provide it. Many families who have both parents working might not have the time to make this food at home even though it is what they want to eat. There are many college students who want to eat healthy but have never cooked in their life. or do not know how to cook properly. They would want something fast, healthy, and fresh without breaking the bank.
5. What sets me apart is the way I would approach this business concept. I would develop contracts with local farmers which helps the local economy and it reduces delivery costs (which in-turn reduces environmental impact). You'll be guaranteed that the food is free of GMOs and preservatives. I would also keep costs low by hiring 25% of my employees from local high-schools who are aspiring to go to culinary school and become chefs. I would work with these local schools to implement a teaching program where they get paid to work at the restaurant as well as receive credit towards their diploma.

I believe all these aspects of my business concept could fit together. It will be a bit difficult at first to convince someone that this is somewhere they want to spend their money because they are so use to the big chain restaurants and the prices they can offer; but at the same time, they can't offer the combination of fresh food and prices that Homestyle could offer.


3 comments:

  1. Ashley, I think your homestyle fast food business idea is a great idea. When you think about it, there really aren't many options in the "fast food" category that are healthy, and even when places like McDonald's offer salads, they are not actually good for you. My entrepreneurship idea revolves around making healthy food and nutrition tips more easily accessible to people as well, so it's nice to see someone else on the same track! Like you said, there are so many people nowadays who are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, or just interested in finding GMO free meals. It's important to address these increasing segments and give them a larger variety of options when wanting to dine out. You sound like you have a really solid plan and I agree that all your components seem to mesh together very well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I truly do appreciate your idea! I am a fitness fiend and when it comes to eating out or eating on the go, I have trouble finding suitable options for my healthy diet that don't obliterate my macro counts. I actually just read a blog with the same exact idea. Here is the link to Spencer's blog http://bestblognyc.blogspot.com/2016/06/idea-napkin-no-1.html
    You each have different perspectives on the same issue and idea, I think it would benefit you both to collaborate! You certainly have set yourself apart with your insights, such as your contract with local farmers, cultivation of youth education in the culinary arts, as well as commitment to GMO free foods. I am so loving this integration of the community into your service. Wonderful idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can already tell you that you would have a loyal customer in me, I don't eat fast food often simply because of its lack of nutritional value. Being a huge advocate of fitness I stress maintaining a healthy figure so this would be an amazing place for me. I think that this is a clear adaptation to the mass customization market. America has an ever increasing problem with obesity and it's definitely time to start thinking of healthy alternatives. Great post!(:

    ReplyDelete